Sunday, November 30, 2008

"Altar"-Ego

(Not my altar, just a cool one I saw on the web)

At work, I hide behind my books. When I'm playing my music I hide behind my piano. I'm terrified of being in the public eye to the point of anxiety attacks at times. Some people call it stage fright, I don't know what to call it. But when I'm behind my Altar I don't feel the need to hide. My heart doesn't race like it does in all other scenarios. I have no fear, no anxiety, as if when I walk into that circle someone else takes over...I call her my Altar-Ego.

1 comment:

Alex Pendragon said...

That's cute...alter-ego...lol...love that!

I remember the first night I tried Karaoke.....I was shaking like a leaf, but I survived it, and went on from that night forward to become a Karaoke fanatic. Although whenever I play back a recording of myself singing, I am mystified why I got applause instead of rotten vegetables, I still enjoyed doing it.

You have to sort of forget there is anyone out there, and then it becomes much easier. Just create a bubble within which there is no audience, only yourself and your love for your art. Strive to live up to your own stringent standards and THEN you can worry about satisfying the audience.

Easier said than done, I know.